On this day in history (November 4, 1991), My Bloody Valentine released their second album Loveless featuring Only Shallow. Shortly after the release, Creation records dropped MBV from the label supposedly because Kevin Shields was too difficult to work with. MBV broke up a few years later and didn’t record another album until their reunion in 2013. Loveless is considered to be one of the most influential shoegaze albums of all time. MBV toured for this album and the tour was generally considered a success. However, there was some criticism do to the intense loudness that some members of the music press called “criminal negligence”. Mojo magazine rated this tour the second loudest in history.
- Peaked at #24 in the UK albums chart
- Pitchfork claimed Loveless to be the best album of the 90’s.
- Rolling Stone ranked it #291 of the 500 greatest albums of all time.
- The Observed ranked it #20 in the 100 Greatest British Albums list
- Robert Smith of The Cure said ” My Bloody Valentine was the first band I heard who quite clearly pissed all over us, and their album Loveless is certainly one of my all-time three favorite records. It’s the sound of someone [Shields] who is so driven that they’re demented. And the fact that they spent so much time and money on it is so excellent”
- Only Shallow
- To Here Knows When
- When You Sleep
- I Only Said
- Come In Alone
- Blown A Wish
- What You Want