On this day in history (February 28, 1986), the soundtrack to the motion picture Pretty In Pink was released. This is generally considered to be one of the greatest soundtracks of all times. Like most John Hughes movies, the soundtrack consisted primarily of brand new new wave music. The marquee track, If You Leave from OMD was written specifically for this film.
While the soundtrack consisted of mostly house hold names, one of our favorite moments is the inclusion of Get To Know You from Jessie Johnson. Jessie was the guitar player for The Time and was just branching out into his solo career. While he is an R&B/Funk artist, this track fits perfectly well on a new wave album.
OMD – If You Leave
Psychedelic Furs – Pretty In Pink
New Order – Shell Shock
Echo & The Bunnymen – Bring On The Dancing Horses
- If You Leave peaked at #4 on the US Hot 100 charts
- Pretty In Pink peaked at #41 on the US Hot 100 charts
- If You Leave – OMD
- Left Of Center – Suzanne Vega
- Get To Know Ya – Jessie Johnson
- Do Wot You Do – INXS
- Pretty In Pink – Psychedelic Furs
- Shellshock – New Order
- Round, Round – Belouis Some
- Wouldn’t It Be Good – Danny Hutton Hitters
- Bring On The Dancing Horses – Echo & The Bunnymen
- Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want – The Smiths
The movie also featured several songs that didn’t appear on the soundtrack, including Thieves Like Us and Elegia from New Order. Also, The Rave-Ups appeared in the film performing Positively Lost Me and Shut Up, but neither of those songs appear on the soundtrack.
Support Strangeways Radio on Patreon.